Saturday, October 14, 2017

Is There A Home in the Valley of Capitalism?


God help me, but I am glad my parents are not here to see this. Mountain View, California. There are

people living in their cars on the streets now. Never, never in my life have I seen such a thing here.

I was born in Palo Alto and raised in Mountain View. This is the home of Facebook

and Google. This is the home of capitalism. This is my home.

Every family has it's myth, or it's truth. My parent's story sounds somewhat like a truth of mythic

proportions. My mother was the first woman to graduate as an electrical engineer from New Mexico

State University. My father was a mathematician and engineer. They met while working on missile

telemetry at White Sands Proving Grounds in the post Manhattan Project cold war era. In 1955 they

left to Palo Alto, California in an exodus of engineers and scientists for the peace movement of the 

San Francisco Bay Area. Many landed as professors at Berkeley, or to Palo Alto as teachers and

engineers.  Many joined the Unitarian church, the epicenter of political activism.

“We no longer wanted to work on weapons of mass destruction,” my mother said.

So I grew up learning to program computers with punch cards. I grew up in an economy that was

nothing but upwardly mobile. I grew up understanding that as my parents were of the Great

Depression, it was a given in this life: Work hard, things get better.

It was one of those endless Saturday afternoons, the type where all options are yours when you're

ten. Coloring, reading, bike riding, playing my little guitar... the world was wide open for a child in

the early 70's. An old truck pulled up in front of our manicured lawn. A man, he was Mexican, and a

boy about my age walked up to our front door and I ran to answer. My father joined me and spoke to

this man while his son and I looked at each other curiously.  He probably wondered about my life as 

much as I wondered about his.

The boy's dad said that he and his son would wash all the windows on our house for twenty

five dollars, and my father said yes. They did the work and my father offered them a few more jobs.

     One day my mom told me that the man who came to our door that day now had a full time job as 

the handyman at a motel our neighbor across the street owned. I asked my dad about that one day. He

told me how impressed he was. He told me of the important and valuable lesson this father, who

 barely spoke English was imparting on his son. That it is ok to knock on someone's door. There is no

 shame in asking for work. This boy had a good father who was teaching him important values in this

 world.

So I wonder when I look at the level of homelessness where I come from, Silicon Valley. I wonder

how my father's values translate now. How can any society continue when those whose hard work 

doing the most basic things we all need, childcare, cleaning, making food, washing windows... are

 left to be homeless?

My father felt a deep commitment to his fellow man. My father grew up in poverty, but he worked

hard and Things Got Better.  In all truth, my father could never say no to those who knocked on our

door for help.

So I wonder what he would do now. There are so many to help. On the streets of Mountain View,

people have no place to live.

Right up until the crash of 2007/2008, my father's life got better. That's when two thirds of everything

he worked for in this world vanished. And it killed him. He died April 3rd, 2009.

God help me but I am thankful he is not here to see what is happening in the town he made our home.



No comments:

Post a Comment