Thursday, January 1, 2015

A LIfe in Progress Story


I have a friend here in Iowa whom I met when I was 15. It's one of those things easily done when you are a teen. You can just start talking to another and become the best of friends. Laura. She just came up to me on Main Street, asked where I was from, and then we did what all girls did at that time. "Lying out." We baked on the dock from 11:00am until 4:00pm in our bikinis. Pretty much every day.

She is a voracious reader and she was very happy to find that I was the same. She commented to me upon my moving here that my vocabulary may "put people off" as the words I use are "too big." But she appreciates it.
 

Laura modeled for a short time in the Minneapolis area in the early 80's, her best friend Lance was the only out gay boy in her high school. He went onto a career as a jewelry designer with pieces sold in Chicago's Bloomingdale's and Nordstrom. I have a couple pair of his very early earrings.

She has gone through what I see as a life that reflects many women's stories, although not mine. Her sweetheart in high school was a bit older, but an ok guy.
 By the time Laura was 24 ready to move on, she found herself pregnant. They married and it lasted a few more years. The split, although not completely cordial, was not horrible. I was very impressed by what a great mom Laura was. There was no animosity when it came to the welfare of their daughter.

A few years later, Laura met a man with a strong personality. He persuaded her to move away from her town and family and she was increasingly isolated. Over a couple years this relationship turned abusive, until one day at home alone, Laura watched The Burning Bed with Farrah Fawcett. She suddenly knew. She threw a few things in a bag, drove to her daughter's school and took her out. She then drove to her parent's home and told them everything. She and her daughter started over from there.

Laura now lives with her husband 
of 13 years, Verne, in one of the most beautiful and photographed homes in Clear Lake. Her daughter is a strong and amazing young woman, and Laura has two granddaughters, 11 and 1 yrs old.

This is not an Iowa story, nor a Midwest story. This is a life in progress story.

1 comment:

  1. You know what's funny.....my empowerment story happened in Clear Lake too. I will have to tell you about it. Mine unfortunately was not as quiet :( #survivor #strongwomen #bulliednomore

    ReplyDelete